The Deadly Funeral that killed 69 people and hospitalized 127 more.
Deadly Funeral caused by Poisoned Beer!
In Mozambique, it’s traditional to serve a local beer called pombe during funeral services. This tradition was observed at the funeral of a newborn who died shortly after birth in January 2015.
Two batches of pombe were served at the funeral, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Those who had the beer in the morning were fine, but the afternoon guests fared less well.
After having the beer, the guests quickly started experiencing violent diarrhea and muscle pain. Eventually, 196 guests were hospitalized, while 69 died — including the mother of the child to be buried.
During investigation, officials discovered that the pombe was contaminated with bongkrekic acid. This toxic substance is extracted from crocodile gallbladders.
According to tradition in many African countries, crocodile gallbladders must be buried in front of several witnesses to stop them from being used as poison. Authorities suspected that someone may have intentionally poisoned the funeral beer.